Shed 76 & 1/2 is pleased to welcome Jackie Cardy as a visiting tutor for a workshop on Saturday 23rd November 2019 10-4pm in Brighouse HD6 3EL
In the morning we will spend learning basic felt making, producing a piece of felt specifically to develop with stitch.
We will use the wet felting method and will progress from basic felt making to making and using pre felts to your own design as time allows to design and create a piece for stitching.
Hopefully we can dry the felt enough to be able to work on it with the machine in the afternoon.
In the afternoon there will be an introduction to free motion machine embroidery, the way Jackie uses it in her work, which we then use to embellish and define the patterns on the felt.
Once the machine stitches have been made, we will continue to work into the felt using hand stitch to complete a panel.
You may prefer to continue making felt for the rest of the day, and watch the demonstration to continue stitching in your own time.
Workshop materials and equipment required.
*Items with one asterisk will be provided by me to use on the day but some are to share so if you have your own items please bring them for your own use.
- Two towels. (One to work on and one for drying)
- Nylon mesh or net. *
- Bamboo mat*
- Piece of thin polythene about 60cm square *
- Thin Plastic carrier bag.
- A variety of coloured merino wool tops*
- Olive oil soap*
- Water container such as a plastic milk bottle with holes pierced in the top.* Or a felting bulb if you have your own.
- A variety of fabrics and threads to add to the felt. For example: fine threads, silk tops, nepps, fine silk chiffon. scrim, textured wool yarn, chiffon, other fibres.
- Fabric scissors
- Any pictures that inspire you with colours, shapes etc. if you like.
- Pencil and paper to sketch out shapes or ideas, and notebook to write notes.
- Scissors for fabric and for paper.
- sewing machine (must be able to have the feed dropped for free embroidery) NOTE:- It is your resonsibility to ensure your machine is in good working order.
- Darning foot.
- Selection of machine threads
- Selection of hand sewing threads
Please brign your lunch.Anne Will provide tea, coffee and drinks throughout the day.
Additional fibres and threads will be what Jackie has available so if you want to add a particular material you should bring it along.
Don’t forget spare needles and electrical bits for your sewing machine.
Jackie is aware that some of you might be experienced felt makers and may have a favourite way of your own to make felt. Please feel free to bring any other equipment you might need to do that.
If you have never done free machine embroidery before you might like to bring a hoop and some fabric such as cotton or calico to practise on before you attack the felt.
Workshop runs 10-4 at Shed 76 1/2 HD6 3EL
Brign a packed lunch and Anne will provide drinks thoughout the day.
Email Anne if you would like to be put on the reserve list if all places have gone.
Jackie Cardy - Felting to stitch
Thank you for booking onto the workshop.
Once I have received notification of your booking I will message you with confirmation of your place. At least 2 weeks before the workshop I will email you a reminder and requirements list. If you require any further information please email me.
Thanks again and I hope to see you soon,
If you cancel the place at least 2 weeks before the date of the course you will receive a refund, but £10 admin fee will be kept for all cancellations.
If within 2 weeks of the date I will only be able to give refund if I can fill the place.
If I cancel the course a full refund or alternative date will be offered.